[Nut-upsdev] Spurious messages on start

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sun Nov 19 11:29:27 CET 2006

I think I have found a way to deal with the issue of the spurious
message on startup of NUT. Before implementing it, I would like to see
what the other developers think of this idea.

My proposal is not to wait for DUMPDONE in the startup of upsd for a
duration of MAXINIT seconds, but rather to send the fake "INIT" status
MAXINIT seconds since the start of upsd have elapsed, we report to this
request as usual. By doing so, we avoid blocking the startup sequence
(like we do now, for up to MAXINIT seconds), without upsmon complaining
about lost communications (provided it doesn't choke on INIT, but this
can be dealt with easily if needed).

Fire at will.

Regards, Arjen