[Nut-upsdev] Spurious messages on start

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Nov 21 21:09:41 CET 2006

Arjen de Korte wrote:

>> Probably, from the point of view of robustness, a server-side solution
>> is better than driver-side. Changing all the drivers will be no fun
>> task, and is prone to error. Some drivers may implement a fixed
>> communication sequence to obtain their ups.status information, and in
>> some cases (like newhidups), the status flags are actually assembled
>> from a variety of device-side variables.
> That's not quite what I meant. I want to change the order in which the
> DUMPALL command spits out the dtree_info data. As I already wrote in my
> reply to Arnaud, currently this is in alphabetical order by variable name.
> Not quite what we would like, since the most interesting one (ups.status)
> will probably not be among the first ones we get.

Never mind this. I tried it out and it looks like this is a non-issue.
Although it is quite suboptimal to dump a lot of data when we're
actually only interested in "ups.status", the time needed to do so is
minimal, even with dozens of parameters to pass. I guess the startup
time is more influenced by the startup of the driver itself, than on the
time it takes to do a DUMPALL. Optimization of this command is therefor
probably not worth the effort.

Best regards, Arjen