[Nut-upsdev] eliminating GNU Make features in include/Makefile.am

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 14:48:56 UTC 2007

I just noticed this warning from the autoreconf portion of the buildbot log:

autoreconf: running: automake --no-force
include/Makefile.am:9: shell unset LANG && svnversion -n $(top_srcdir:
non-POSIX variable name
include/Makefile.am:9: (probably a GNU make extension)
include/Makefile.am:10: shell if test "$(SVNREV: non-POSIX variable name
include/Makefile.am:10: (probably a GNU make extension)

I think that the $(shell ...) construct is actually a GNU Make feature.

Since we do not use the variables on lines 9 and 10 outside the
nut_version.h rule below, does anyone have any objections to merging
those shell commands into that rule?

I would also like to add some code to gracefully handle the case where
svnversion does not exist on the target system, which is related, but
still can cause a problem on systems with GNU Make. (This is what
creates version numbers like "2.2.0-", with the trailing hyphen.)

--
- Charles Lepple