[Nut-upsdev] automatically installing udev rules?

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Feb 10 06:26:58 CET 2007

Our configuration mechanism could be easily extended with
--with-udev-dir and --with-hotplug-dir. If nothing (or "auto") is
specified, we could probe for the existence of the directories
/etc/udev/rules.d, /etc/hotplug, and other such common directories as
the need may arise, and install the stuff if the directories exist. If
giving --with-udev-dir without argument, we would probe for the
directories but fail if none was found. If giving --without-udev-dir,
the stuff would not be installed at all.

I think it makes sense to install one (or both) types of files (by
default), regardless of whether the udev binary is found, just in case
the corresponding directories exist. For example, we also install CGI
files without probing for a web server.

The number prefix (or perhaps the entire filename?) could be made
separately configurable. I'm not sure how important that prefix
is. Wouldn't basically any number work?

-- Peter