[Nut-upsdev] Re: Belkin F6C100-UNV + newhidups

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Feb 16 22:12:53 CET 2007

Hi James,

James Rose wrote:

> I've been running a Belkin F6C100-UNV for a couple of years, and just
> recently saw that nut might work with it.
>
> I'll fully admit the following:
>
> 1) I'm not completely certain that my UPS is working properly (I think the
> batteries are failing [which is why I'd like this to work])
> 2) I'm running debian Etch with Nut packages from Debian Unstable,
> specifically versions 2.0.5-3 of the debian packages:
> nut nut-cgi nut-dev nut-usb
>
> Here's my /etc/nut/ups.conf
> [myups]
>         driver = newhidups
>         port = auto
> #       vendorid=050d
> #       productid=0910
>         desc="belkin f6c100"
> #       explore
>
> /etc/nut/upsd.users (pulled from a howto somewhere off the web)
> [admin]
>         password=password
>         allowfrom=127.0.0.1
>         actions=set
>         instcmds=all
>
> relevant snippets from syslog:
> ------------------------------
> Feb 11 16:37:37 localhost kernel: ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.2: wakeup
> Feb 11 16:37:37 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using
> ohci_hcd and address 3
> Feb 11 16:37:37 localhost kernel: usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1
> choice
> Feb 11 16:37:37 localhost kernel: hiddev96: USB HID v1.00 Device [
> UPS] on usb-0000:00:02.2-2
> ------------------------------
>
> running:
> # /lib/nut/newhidups -u nut -D -a myups
> Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.0.5)
>
> debug level is '1'
> This particular Belkin device (050d/0910) is not (or perhaps not yet)
> supported by newhidups. Try running the driver with the '-x productid=0910'
> option. Please report your results to the NUT developer's mailing list.
>
> No matching HID UPS found
>
> It said I should report this, so here I am =)

Thanks for reporting it. Did you read the line that said "Try running
the driver with the '-x productid=0910' option"? I meant for you to
actually do this. It may solve all your problems.

> Note: it was rather tricky to determine what the Belkin vendor ID was.  I
> just tried what someone else used for a different belkin model, and
> plugged it in.  If there is a command that can tell you these things, it
> would be helpful to know (I'm not saying it's not in the docs, but I
> couldn't find it, esp. in man newhidups).

There was no need to specify any Belkin vendor ID; in fact, it is
commented-out in your ups.conf. Newhidups found the device all by
itself.

> If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to install from source and add
> any tweaks, debug, etc.

Just follow the instructions for now. In case of further problems,
please write to the list.

Thanks, -- Peter