[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-commits] svn commit r801 - in

Alexander I. Gordeev lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su
Thu Feb 22 00:06:57 CET 2007

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:55:30 +0300, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:

> We still need to:
>
> * fix the device matching code, so that new users can experiment
>   without having to write C code,

Do you think that the current matching scheme of the usbhid-ups driver is suitable
in our case? (I've looked at usbhid-ups because it is the only one having
subdrivers.) I think not. We deal with several vendorids that do not actually
belong to any vendor - 0x0001 and 0xffff. It's possible that new devices will have
different vendorids. So an end user should be able to take control over the
matching process by "-x vendorid=<value>", right? This is not supported by the
usbhid-ups matching scheme.

We simply cannot determine whether the current device is supported or not having
only vendorid and productid. There is a solution however. We don't need to claim
the device to use 'get_string_simple' function, am I right? Then we can retrieve
several important string descriptors to examine them. This solution looks pretty
ugly, I think. It will also need many changes in shared files, which is the worst.

What do you think about it? Maybe there is another way?

--
   Alexander