[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-Patches][304310] IP v6 support

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 09:04:23 CET 2007

2007/1/4, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:

> > On 1/4/07, nut-patches at alioth.debian.org <nut-patches at alioth.debian.org>
> > wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Date: 2007-01-04 15:49
> >>
> >> Message:
> >> This should be a feature request, not a patch.
> >
> > Arjen,
> >
> > when I was cleaning up the patch tracker before, I was trying to
> > separate "patches that need integration" from "feature requests that
> > don't have patches yet".
> >
> > It's been a while since I looked closely at this patch. Do you think
> > it belongs in "feature requests" because the patch doesn't cover the
> > entire task of supporting IPv6?
>
> I (maybe wrongly) assumed that 'patches' are 'bugreports-with-patch' and
> fix something that is broken. Following that reasoning, it should be a
> 'feature request', since there is nothing to be patched (yet). We never
> said that NUT supports IPv6, so its not broken.

that's maybe where we disagree: for me, the patch tracker is both for
bugfixes and new features. But we might duplicate it with an entry in
the feature, point the patch...

More generally, if we have a patch, either for a new feature or a
bugfix, a part of the job has been done, and that makes the difference
with the feature and bug trackers.

Arnaud