[Nut-upsdev] Re: [nut-Patches][304310] IP v6 support

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri Jan 5 18:50:20 CET 2007

I have always taken "patch" to mean "something that can be applied
with the Unix program 'patch'". It is a way for people to submit code
without SVN write access.

The distinction between "new features" and "feature requests" will not
make it very clear to the users where they should submit their stuff.
At least it is not self-evident to me which is which, without having
read the accompanying discussion.

On the other hand, the distinction between "Bugs", "Feature Requests",
and "Patches" is common in many projects (e.g. it is the default
setting on sourceforge and alioth), and therefore easily recognized by
most people.

How about using Categories to distinguish between different types of
patches in the Patch tracker? Currently, the only defined categories
are "None" and "Widget (example)", but I am sure one could define
"Bug" or "Feature".

Alternatively, if there are to be 4 trackers, they should be named
transparently. How about:

1) "Bug Reports"
2) "Feature Requests"
3) "Patches (Bug Fixes)"