[Nut-upsdev] TrippLite USB UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 00:10:26 CET 2007

On 1/21/07, Patrick <cso at satcharters.com> wrote:
> > Does it say something like "protocol 4003" anywhere?
>
> Can't find anything that shows a numeric value for protocol. Again my reading
> led me to believe this was an important piece of info, but I'll be darned if
> I can find anything. The only thing I can find related to protocol is
> "Communication Protocol HID" under device information.

Ah, OK. That sounds like the key we should add to the documentation -
if it lists a numeric protocol, it would be easier to handle in
tripplite_usb, and if it says "protocol HID", then it belongs in
newhidups/usbhid-ups.

(Technically, all Tripp Lite UPSes that we have seen so far use are
HID-class devices, but the newer ones - such as yours - follow the
Power Device Class (PDC) standard.)

> > If you change from USB to serial (or vice versa), you might be able to
> > save yourself a little trouble by completely powering the UPS down and
> > unplugging it (for a couple of seconds, or until you hear some relays
> > click). Many of these units need to be "cold-booted" like this before
> > they will respond properly on the other port.
>
> Will do. BTW, I have a serial PCMCIA card that works under Windows, so I can
> also use that for testing if need be. The Windows box isn't mine, but I have
> it to use for now. I may get to the serial testing here in a bit. If not, it
> might be a couple of days before I can get back to this.

Well, the serial port may be a little harder to correlate with the USB
results. I'd stick with the one that you plan to use long-term. While
the serial (and non-PDC HID USB) protocols are not well structured,
the PDC HID models are relatively easy to decipher - especially with
the changes that Peter has made to newhidups/usbhid-ups.

--
- Charles Lepple