[Nut-upsdev] TrippLite USB UPS

Patrick Krepps cso at satcharters.com
Thu Jan 25 03:12:39 CET 2007

Hi Peter, I've done the "svn update", and finally got to do a bit of testing
and playing. So far things are looking pretty good. The UPS status is
"OL" (not sure why it showed "OB" yesterday), and all of the commands seem to
function as advertised.

> Congratulations, your device is now 60% supported. I have added the
> product ID and most of the new data paths.
>
> You can do "svn update" and build the driver. It should now run out of
> the box and you can follow the instructions in INSTALL to set up your
> system.
>
> Before it is 100% supported, I need you to:
>
> - run upsd and verify the output of "upsc" and report anything
>   suspicious (such as a voltage of 500V, or a temperature of 70
>   Celsius, or anything like that). [10%]

There are a couple of outputs that I am not sure if they are right or not:

battery.runtime: 1910		# Is that seconds?
battery.voltage: 5.2			# Off by a factor of 10?

ups.power: 302.0
ups.power.nominal: 1500		# Big difference in readings (?)

I've included the full output of upsc both on line and on battery below.

> - also in "upsc", verify that ups.status shows the "OB" flag when the
>   UPS is on battery and the "LB" flag when the battery is low. Also
>   "OL" when the UPS is on line power. These are used by upsmon to
>   decide when to power down your machine. (Do not run upsmon yet when
>   you perform this test - you don't want your machine to actually
>   power off). [10%]
>
> - check if all or some of the instant commands are working. Candidates
>   are:
>
>   test.battery.start.quick
>   test.battery.start.deep
>   test.battery.stop
>
>   beeper.on    (these will only have an effect if the UPS is on battery)
>   beeper.off   (these will only have an effect if the UPS is on battery)

The above commands work just fine. I will have to wait until this weekend to
test the LB flag, and the rest of this. The instant commands logged success
in syslog, and there are no other log entries that look like possible
problems.

>   *** WARNING: BEFORE TESTING THE FOLLOWING, PLUG YOUR COMPUTER INTO
>   *** THE WALL, NOT INTO THE UPS. Plug a desk lamp or similar into the UPS
>   *** to see if the load is on or off.
>
>   load.off
>   load.on
>   shutdown.return
>   shutdown.stop
>
>   [10%]
>
> - finally, check whether the "-k" option to "usbhid-ups" shuts off the
>   load. *** WARNING: SAME AS ABOVE ***. This is necessary for a proper
>   shutdown process. [10%]
>
> If all tests are positive, your UPS is 100% supported, and I will
> remove the "experimental" from data/driver.list. Otherwise, we might
> have to tinker a bit more.

I will get back to you as soon as I have a chance to finish. In the meantime,
let me know if you need me to do anything else.

Thanks,
Patrick

# Full upsc output:

# /usr/bin/ups/bin/upsc su1500 at localhost
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 25
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.runtime: 1910
battery.temperature: 22
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 5.2
battery.voltage.nominal: 48.0
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.1.0
driver.version.data: TrippLite HID 0.1 (experimental)
driver.version.internal: 0.30
input.frequency: 59.9
input.transfer.high: 138.0
input.transfer.low: 65.0
input.voltage: 124.8
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.current: 2.80
output.frequency: 59.9
output.frequency.nominal: 60
output.voltage: 120.2
output.voltage.nominal: 120
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.reboot: -1
ups.delay.restart: 0
ups.delay.shutdown: -1
ups.load: 24
ups.mfr: Tripp Lite
ups.model: TRIPP LITE UPS
ups.power: 302.0
ups.power.nominal: 1500
ups.serial: 9530ALCPS519400017
ups.status: OL

Ran downstairs and threw the breaker. Came back up to this output:

# /usr/bin/ups/bin/upsc su1500 at localhost
battery.charge: 98
battery.charge.low: 25
battery.charge.warning: 50
battery.runtime: 1889
battery.temperature: 22
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 4.8
battery.voltage.nominal: 48.0
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: 2.1.0
driver.version.data: TrippLite HID 0.1 (experimental)
driver.version.internal: 0.30
input.frequency: 0.0
input.transfer.high: 138.0
input.transfer.low: 65.0