[Nut-upsdev] Re: [Nut-upsuser] Meaning of ups.delay.*

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Sat Jan 27 16:43:10 CET 2007

> As I'm currently porting the HP PowerTrust driver from nut-1.4.3, I have
> a question regarding ups.delay.*.
>
> The PTs can delay the Shutdown/Restart and Kill commands by an arbitrary
> number of seconds, i.e. they wait for n seconds and then shutdown or
> kill. The delay for the restart after the shutdown can't be changed.
> Which of the ups.delay.* variables correspond to these values?

The grace period before shutting down the UPS, is 'ups.delay.shutdown'.
The 'ups.delay.start' parameter is used to specify a time to wait before
switching on the load, while the 'ups.delay.reboot' specifies the time to
stay off when rebooting the UPS.

Basically the only time you should add a delay is when a user explicitly
asks for it (so with the instant command 'shutdown.reboot.graceful'). You
may use a delay too for 'shutdown.stayoff' too since usually this instant
command will be the cause of a user action.

In any case, calling 'upsdrv_shutdown()' should shutdown the UPS with
(virtually) no delay.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands