[Nut-upsdev] Asking hard questions about the NUT architecture

Edgar Fuß ef at math.uni-bonn.de
Thu May 31 21:06:04 UTC 2007

Just two short remarks on this.

> 1. In an era when file systems are normally journaled and hardened
> so they
> recover clean from power failures, what point is there in having
> your UPS
> initiate a controlled shutdown N seconds beforehand?
We're running a software RAID on eight 150G discs.
Not cleanly shutting down that server makes me lose the RAID parity.
Rebuilding the RAID parity takes 22 hours.
I have no redundancy during the parity rebuild.

> 3.  Why should we care about 'smart' serial UPSes any more?
Because there are people out there with those? Should we trash
working older hardware?

> when I recently went shopping for a UPS I found a USB-capable unit
> for $29.99.
We're running four mid-range (3kVA) UPS. They do have USB, but there
seem to be reliability problems with the USB interface.