[Nut-upsdev] Same output in NUT as from APC tools?

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at freenet.de
Tue Apr 15 16:27:21 UTC 2008

Hello,

Since I have now nearly all stuff running on my LH7A404  and  now  I  am
working on my DS80C411, I like to know, whether NUT  show  the  APC  UPS
stats like the APC tools.

Currently I do not know, HOW NUT triber the USB-Poert  to  get  out  the
infos of the UPS.  In theory I do send out only arround  5-60  lines  of
data which then NUT or  any  other  programs  must  parse  or  something
similar, but I have absolutly no clue about HOW NUT like to get the
infos,

Currently It looks something like:

----[ STDIN ]-----------------------------------
electronica at tdnet 24V DC modular ATX PSU
Slot 0:       Base Module with PowerWhatch
  SerNo:      00000001
  Uin:        26.8V
  Iin:        8.9A
  T:          52,6°C
Slot 1:       ATX 2 (144W)
  SerNo:      00000001
  +12V:       12.2V, 2.8A
  +5V:        5.1V, 6.1A
  +3.3V:      3.3V, 11.9A
  +5Vsb:      5.0V, 0.1A
  -12V:       -12V, 0.0A
  T:          58,1°C
Slot 4:       SATA 4 (82W)
  SerNo:      00000001
  +12V:       12.1V, 0.3A
  +5V:        5.0V, 0.7.A
  +3.3V:      3.3V, 0.0.A
  T:          48,7°C
Slot 5:       Device 4 (68W)
  SerNo:      00000001
  +12V:       12.0V, 0.2.A
  +5V:        5.0V, 0.3A
  T:          49,2°C

And this PSU is currently  connected  to  a  "VIA EPIA LN10000EAG"  with
1 GByte of memory, a 3w9550SXU-8LP, four SanDisk Extreme III 4 GByte  on
SATA/CF-Adapters plus four Hitachi HTE521660J9SA00 with 60 GByte.

I should note, that  "Slot 0"  is  always  the  "24V DC modular ATX PSU"
itself and use a DS80C411 Microcontroller.

Slot 1 to slot 5 are the modules for  ATX,  PCI  Express,  P4,  SATA  or
Device.

Note 1: The DS80C411 check sequentiel the five slots over an I²C  switch
        and on each module I have a I²C serial  EEPROM  with  the  infos
        like "Serialnumber", the "module name" and which type  of  infos
        are  provided.   The  last  one  is  required,  since  the   A/D
        Converters have an unique serialnumber from NXP and  I  have  to
        know, WHICH A/D Converter (each has 4 channels)  is  responsable
        or each value.

        After querying the 5 slots, the  DS80C411  pull  out  the  above
        listing over the USB port continously each 5  seconds  which  is
        for testing only to get things running.

        The output of the USB port then can be easyly  captured  by  ANY
        programs which can read from the USB Port.

        But this will bind resources, I likt to triger the  output  from
        NUT...

        How to do this?

        And for the computer shutdown (UPS like), it is enough,  if  NUT
        capture the value "Vin" of "Slot 2".

Note 2: The UVP (24V input) is only active for  the  PowerModules  while
        the DS80C411 consumes only some mA, it will  be  always  powered
        and has its own UVP which will be active, if  the  Uin  is  less
        then 12V.  This has the advantage, that  I  can  write  a  small
        NVRAM with for example 128 Byte which store  all  Power  Up/Down
        and its time and I can add something like the following  at  the
        end of the USB output
            ----8<--------------------------
            Power Up/Down Log:
              1208275466: up
              1208275478: down
              1208275599: up
              1208275972: down (UVP)
              1208276173: up
              1208276486: down (OVP)
              1208276617: up
              1208276815: down
              1208279013: up
            --------------------------------
        What do you think about it?

Note 3: My current "24V DC modular ATX PSU" containing the

            a)  Base Module with PowerWhatch
            b)  ATX 2    (144W)
            c)  SATA 4   ( 82W)
            d)  DEVICE 4 ( 68W)

        including the making of the four PCB's  had  cost  me  completly
        980 Euros without my  development  time...  The  most  expensive
        thing is the enterprise for the manufacturing of the PCB's.

        I think, building the WHOLE set with all PowerModules will  cost
        arround 2000 Euro.  And then producing it in serie of 100 PSU's
        with a config like

            a)  Base Module with PowerWhatch
            b)  ATX 3    (240W)
            c)  SATA 4   ( 82W)
            d)  DEVICE 4 ( 68W)

        maybe arround 200 Euro.

But this is only for testing, since currently I do not know,  whether  I
should stay with the I²C stuff I a using currently (works perfectly  but
is expensive, - arround 11 Euro more for the config above) or switch  to
an I²C/1-Wire mix which could save money but require (heavy???) software
changes.  And of course, the capacities of the DS80C411 are  limited  to
64 kByte.

Also I am looking for a smaller Microcontroller since I do not need CAN,
Ethernet or the Web-Server on it...  :-)

Note 4: My current DS80C411 is an Evaluation Board provided  by  Dallas/
        Maxim and is not put directly onto the ATX PCB (The µC only cost
        arround 22 Euro in a electronic shop while I have payed for  the
        Evaluation Kit from Dallas/Maxim 68 Euro I think).

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)