[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] Mustek PowerMust 848

Adrian Czerniak adrian.czerniak at becomo.com
Sun Dec 7 20:48:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:00:09 +0100, Arjen de Korte wrote
> Citeren Adrian Czerniak <adrian.czerniak at becomo.com>:
>
> >> 1) The UPS is implementing a *very* old version of the Megatec
> >> protocol and uses the 'D' command to query for status information
> >>
> >> (this was obsolete back in 1996 already). Please try if changing
> >> line  426 from
> >>
> >> 	ser_send_pace(upsfd, SEND_PACE, "Q1%c", ENDCHAR);
> >> 	ser_send_pace(upsfd, SEND_PACE, "D%c", ENDCHAR);
> >>
> >> will get us an answer from the UPS. Most likely, we won't be able to
> >>  parse the reply, but for the moment we just want it to talk to us.
> >> Make sure you run it in -DDDDD debug mode.
> >>
> >> 2) It doesn't use the Megatec protocol. In that case, you'll have to
> >>  use 'usbsnoop' (search Google) while running it with the (bundled?)
> >>  Windows software to see if we can figure out if this is a familiar
> >> protocol or that we need something completely new.
> >>
> >> In any case, we'll take this to the development mailinglist. Please
> >> answer there.
> >
> > Unfortunately, suggested change in source code doen't seem to fix
anything:

> [...]
>
> And what about suggestion #2? I'm starting to doubt that this device
>  speaks Megatec...

I can't check it now, because I have this UPS in work. Anyway, more
information:

The original software is winpower writeen in java (http://www.ups-software-
download.com/winpower.htm), but it can't talk to UPS when running on Linux. I
found http://openupsmart.sourceforge.net/ which claims itself as a
replacement for Winpower, but it fails too.

--
Regards,
Adrian Czerniak