[Nut-upsdev] patch for old APC Smart-UPS 600

Konstantin 'Kastus' Shchuka kastus at epocrates.com
Wed Dec 10 02:49:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 11:16:40AM -0500, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Konstantin 'Kastus' Shchuka
> <kastus at epocrates.com> wrote:
> > I am sorry to return to this old issue again.
> >
> > I discovered that my venerable SU-600 sometimes responds with other D codes
> > than I added to compat_tab already. I had to add 3 more codes there to
> > make it recognized properly by NUT.
>
> Kastus,
>
> is there a chance that the digit at the end of the code is some form
> of status? Is there a chance we might see D1, D2 or D3 in the future?

I am not sure if it's status or something else, this last digit.
I've never seen 1, 2 or 3 there but it does not mean that it's impossible.
As I understand it, b command is supposed to query firmware version
but for this particular unit it does something else. I do not believe
firmware version changes between different queries.

It's just my clumsy C skills that lead to such an ugly solution. I am not
a programmer, I am UNIX sysadmin by trade.

Given practical non-existence of Smart-UPS 600 these days and
complete absence of documentation, I just don't know how justifiable
are efforts to make it work. I apologize for taking too much of your
time.

> I don't see any harm in applying the patch, but I would like to
> understand a little more about what is going on here. (Sorry, I don't
> have a serial APC UPS to test with.)

I would much appreciate applying the patch as it would save my time
patching every new release of NUT when they come out.

If you have any ideas how to investigate this issue deeper, I am quite open to
them. This UPS powers my home server and I can do anything with it.

Thanks, -Kastus