[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] Exide NetUPS SE (aka Powerware 5119 etc)

Johan Adler johan.adler at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 05:27:30 UTC 2008

Bonjour Arnaud,

Just after sending my mail I realized that it might have been better
to send it to the developer list, not the user list. My mistake.

While trying to collect more information I have among other things
downloaded the free version of LanSafe III (4.16 for Linux, 4.173a for
Windows), and in the Linux install package I found the attached (plain
text) document specifying the LanSafe team's view of communication
with diffferent devices. Maybe it could be useful for the NUT
compatibility list?

I am not sure that I personally would have much to benefit from it,
but I would find it kind of neat to be able to use the two separate
"load groups" on my UPS (in
http://networkupstools.org/doc/2.2.0/powersaving.html you use the MGE
term "PowerShare"). I had a quick look at the source for the upscode2
driver but found no obvious code to support this feature, which I did
find in the bcmxcp source.

Since the UPS Code II protocol is not publically documented I thought
I might try to help, if possible. I figured that I would install the
free version of LanSafe III on a Windows box (I had a look at the
Linux version install scripts and would not trust it), connect the
serial port of this box to a Linux box running a serial sniffer (e.g.
slsnif -- http://linux.die.net/man/1/slsnif) connecting /dev/ttyS0 to
/dev/ttyS1 and documenting all traffic on this link, and of course
having the second serial port on the linux box connected to the UPS
(my Powerware 5119 under the Exide alias). With this setup I ought to
be able to document all communication between the official and
commercial software supporting this UPS, and the UPS itself. If I find
a way to record what happens on the Windows box, with the clock being
in sync between the systems, it might be even more helpful.

I am quite hopeful that the LanSafe III software can detect and make
use of the load segments of my UPS, and maybe other less known
features of the UPS Code II protocol too, and I would love to be able
to document it. I have no idea how many others are using less than
brand new UPS equipment, but it might help someone else too.

What do you think, Arnaud and other developers?

Happy New Year!
Johan Adler
Stockholm, Sweden