[Nut-upsdev] interesting libusb news

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 08:34:47 UTC 2008

2008/2/13, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> On Feb 13, 2008 4:16 PM, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > while digging in the fingerprinting world [1], I come across the fpusb
>  > project, now renamed to libusb 1.0 [2].
>  >
>  > This will open up many interesting software enhancements in the FLOSS
>  > world, and especially to NUT.
>

> Interesting find.

yeah, I thought too ;-)

>  The main drawback at the moment is the following:
>
>  "Presently, libusb-1.0 only works on Linux, and as an initial
>  prototype the code is not structured with cross-platform portability
>  in mind."
>
>  Hopefully that will change.

as mentioned in the next paragraph:

"Now that the protoype is working, the Linux-specific parts will be
abstracted out to make way for porting to other operating systems. I
do not recommend porting efforts begin until when this has happened"

Also:
"The library is working but there are significant remaining items in
the TODO file, and the API is a fair distance from stability."

So, while it will not impact NUT now, we have a chance to take
advantage of the exposed poll fds, and async I/O in the future.

Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com