[Nut-upsdev] Fwd: m4 scripts ignore user-supplied CFLAGS and LDFLAGS

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Feb 23 18:45:16 UTC 2008

Hi Alexander,

no, I am not responsible for this! It's true that I created the
scripts in m4/, but I only copied what was previously in configure.in.
Try:

svn up -r2 configure.in

and you'll see that the code in question has been there since the
beginning of SVN time (line 175).

I cannot say why it was done that way. Probably because nobody needed
a more general mechanism. Using pkgconfig seems like a good idea, but
there should be a fallback method if pkgconfig is not installed or
does not work. I think some of our autoconf tests already do something
like this.

-- Peter