[Nut-upsdev] usbhid-ups using wrong value for battery voltage for Pulsar Evolution 500?

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Feb 29 16:17:40 UTC 2008

> as you already know, Flow.[4] is the output one (and Flow.[1] the input).
> Both are *always* available.

This is what I expected. That means that we can rely on this for setting
'(input|output).voltage(.nominal)' and don't need fallbacks here.

> Which is not the case of the battery voltage.

I already feared that... :-)

> And when I was talking about the differences in implementation in the
> various UPSs, here is an example:
> - many (all) low/mid end models (Ellipse, Protection Center, Pulsar
> Evolution, ...) do not report "UPS.BatterySystem.ConfigVoltage", and
> maps UPS.PowerSummary.ConfigVoltage to the Flow[4]
> - some (like the new Evolution and Evolution S) still do not report
> the above, but report UPS.PowerSummary.{Config}Voltage with the
> battery config voltage
> - ...

We probably should selectively use the "UPS.PowerSummary.{Config}Voltage"
for the 'battery.voltage(.nominal)' selected MGE models only and ignore
them for all others, right? I have a cunning plan how to do this, it will
be in the trunk this weekend (it is something I have thought about for a
while already). It will provide a flexible way to change this, possibly
for other variables as well.

> That why I mentioned the internship project, since it exposes both all
> the existing paths, and implementation in the various models and
> ranges).

That would be extremely useful! I can fill in some values (from postings
to the mailinglists), but this is far from complete. On the other hand, by
defaulting to ignoring these values, we will always err on the side of
caution, so this probably isn't such a big deal.

[...]

> Since the PowerSummary collection was created to mimic the ACPI data,
> the values under this collection should all be the battery value.

This is indeed what I understood from the HID PDC.

Best regards, Arjen