[Nut-upsdev] Newbie howto

Gabi Voiculescu boy3dfx2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 15:28:35 UTC 2008

Hello

First of all I would like to apologize if this message is sent to the wrong mailing list.

I have a Upguards Pro 1000 UPS that does not shutdown when using megatec driver with nut.

I want to be able from a linux box to issue a shutdown and restart of the ups. This way, I want to be able to reset a remote device in case it hangs and I can't access it remotely.

I have found I need to do the following:

change serial port to 2400-8-N-1
send the command S01R0001<carriage return>

Questions:

1. What (Is there a) driver in the nut package allows me to do this?
I know there is:
- a generic driver in nut, (for which I don't know how to configure the baud rate and shutdown sequence to be sent out)
- the megatec which works for another type of Upguards UPS (but in my case the UPS is left.

2. As I am pretty new at programming under Linux, can you give me a c source code to do this?

I'm particularly concerned with opening the serial port and changing it to 2400-8-n-1, because I think I can write to a file :P.

Thanks,
Gabi