[Nut-upsdev] Feedback and help in porting the NUT sysV init script to upstart

Scott James Remnant scott at netsplit.com
Thu Jul 31 19:21:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 23:09 +0200, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> next, a personal point of view about the lack of upstream adoption of
> upstart:
> I wanted to provide an upstart script for NUT for some time, but never
> found enough matching example to do so.
> the embedded scripts only address inittab, and the
> replacement-initscripts are unreachable (see below) and far too basic
> for being really helpful!
> if you want a massive adoption, provide some "real world" examples for
> upstreams, really ;-)

Upstart is not yet finished, and the job definition format undergoes
incompatbile changes with each minor release.

For this reason, I would not recommend migrating your service to using
an Upstart job at this time.

> another point (possibly already addressed): you should also take a
> look at the HAL replacement (DeviceKit) since it should (must?)
> somehow impact upstart (at least through signaling), or improve it?!
> I will soon post on the new dk mailing a proposition for the power
> management. if you also have some feedback there...

The DeviceKit author and I are friends, are very much in communication.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?