[Nut-upsdev] tripplite smart2000rmxl2u product id 3014

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Oct 21 06:15:44 UTC 2008

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:

>>  Is there a specific piece of code I
>> should try hacking?  tripplite_usb?  Or, something higher up?

[...]

> Things specific to the Tripp Lite PDC UPSes are in tripplite-hid.c,
> and there are some more generic parts in usbhid-ups.c, libhid.c/h and
> libusb.c/h.
>
> I am not yet sure what needs to be changed, though.

It makes no sense to try 'hacking' this. The HID PDC protocol is
fairly well documented and I really doubt that Tripp Lite wouldn't
follow this (short of the few mistakes they made earlier on).

My guess is, that your expectations on how this works, are incorrect.
First read the README, INSTALL and doc/FAQ documents to see when NUT
decides it is time to shutdown a connected system and what happens
then. Unlike some software bundled with UPSes, NUT by default won't
shutdown after a fixed time running on battery. Instead, it will wait
until the UPS signals that the battery is low. The reason for this is
explained in the FAQ. If that signal never comes (and the indicator
lights on your UPS suggest it didn't so far), NUT won't shutdown.

Regarding the 'battery.charge', there are no calculations in NUT for
HID PDC devices. We just relay what the UPS is telling us. If it
outputs bogus information (or is not yet calibrated, Charles may be
right here), that's what you get. No hacking can change that.

Before resorting to running the driver in debug mode, I would suggest
to first check if the UPS is calibrated *and* if NUT will shutdown
your system if you discharge the batteries completely. If that doesn't
work, it makes sense to run the driver in debug mode. Please keep the
debug level limited to -DD (and not -DDD like Charles suggested) to
keep the output limited to what we really need.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list