[Nut-upsdev] Powercom support and sponsorship

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Dec 2 12:13:12 UTC 2009

Citeren Morozov Alexey <morozov op pcm.ru>:

> For comparison i tested APC BE-700RS with Debian (release5, core
> Linux 2.6.26-1-686, Gnome 2.22.3). There is the same problem which i
> found with Powercom updated firmware - system shows correct status
> of UPS and battery level but not shutdown automatically as Windows
> done.

Which driver did you use? The usbhid-ups driver, or the HAL enabled
one? The Gnome power manager will only use the HAL enabled one as far
as I know.

> Is it possible to modify power management functional to set battery
> level for shutdown or hibernate? Windows XP/Vista/7 has such
> functional, it
> very useful for user.

We also support this, but only if the UPS allows for setting
battery.charge.low and/or battery.runtime.low. If it doesn't, it can
be added through the help of the clone driver.

In a networked environment you need to make sure that there is one
decision moment that determines when the systems need to be shutdown.
Otherwise you're vulnerable to power races. This isn't an issue for
desktop systems that where there is a one-to-one relationship between
UPS and system, but it is when there is a one-to-many relationship.

> If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.

I do. In order to speed up the development of the powercom-hid
support, I would like to receive a Powercom UPS (any size). It would
also enable me to better judge what needs to be done and find out if
we not already support what you're asking for.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list