[Nut-upsdev] Updating the NUT FAQ

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 22:37:21 UTC 2009

2009/12/5 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> 2009/11/30 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I think it's time that we overhauled the contents of the NUT FAQ.
>>>
>>> Any objections to removing material that refers to NUT versions prior to
>>> 2.0.0? (I suppose we could have a FAQ archive, or the most important old
>>> items could be moved to the Upgrading instructions.)
>>>

> Still haven't heard anything about the pre-2.0 information. I am commenting
> it out now, but does anyone know of any distributions still using older
> versions of NUT?

the oldest one I've seen is 2.0.5. you can completely remove these references.
as Arjen says, it's 5++ years old.

>>> Two specific areas that I would like to improve are the USB-related
>>> questions and the ACL information. I am not an authority on either of
>>> these
>>> areas, but if anyone has suggestions, I will gladly incorporate them.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> I've just commited a dumb related entry before you start working on it.
>> The USB related things were scheduled, along with some more update,
>> but I'm glad that you take over this.
>> I'll be looking at your changes to complete / fix these if needed.
>
> OK.
>
> Arnaud: for integration, what is the status of including the FAQ in the user
> manual? It only seems to be available from the website documentation page.

yep, it's part of the appendix contents (Appendix B) that will
directly get included without change.
I've not prioritized these while waiting for the chunk work (the
single page tends to get enormous
the specific case of the FAQ is that it already has a TOC. I don't
know yet how it would behave, but having also the TOC in the UM
appendix version is nice.

I'm now inclined in thinking that we will also have to generate the
txt files, along with the html ones.
we  need conditional content, mostly for cross references like for
pointing text files or html chapters, ...
I will have more visibility soon, once the user manual will be roughly
completed.

> Also, before we get too far along with editing, should we change the
> filename to FAQ.txt to be consistent with the rest of the files in docs/ ?

considering the last remark above, it makes sense to put FAQ.txt in
docs and to output FAQ in the root dir...

cheers,
Arnaud