[Nut-upsdev] Finding libusb on FreeBSD 8.0

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Thu Dec 24 19:09:01 UTC 2009

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple op gmail.com>:

> I just upgraded the FreeBSD buildbot machine from 6.4 to 8.0, and I
> ran across some interesting differences.

I noticed that.

> The libusb API that we use (0.1) is available in /usr/include/usb.h
> and /usr/lib/libusb.* as before, but it seems to be the compatibility
> layer from libusb 1.0.

That's OK. The same is happening in other distro's too.

> However, it doesn't include the libusb-config binary.

That sucks... :-(

> But the gist of it is that they just hardcode "" and "-lusb" for
> $CFLAGS and $LDFLAGS, respectively.

Ditto... :-(

> For many FreeBSD 8.0 users, this will be a non-issue, since they can
> just run 'make install' in the ports directory. However, given all of
> the USB stack changes, I suspect we might have to ask some users to
> test against a SVN version of NUT, so it might be nice to enable USB
> support out-of-the-box.
> Suggestions?

Well, the only thing we could do, is fallback to these defaults if the
detection via 'libusb-config' fails to detect the libusb presence. But
I really feel that this is a regression in FreeBSD and that not
including libusb-config is really hurting. I fail to understand why
the FreeBSD maintainers choose this is easier to fix in all packages
that use libusb, than to just include a 'libusb-config' that simply
returns these values.

> Arjen: if you don't have much free time, I can do some local testing
> here, but I am not sure which of the autoconf library search routines
> I should use as a model.

I've submitted something. Once you get the hang of it, the autoconf
tools are remarkably easy to use.

Best regards, Arjen
Please keep list traffic on the list