[Nut-upsdev] Path for .fdi files (was: Re: [nut-commits] buildbot failure in FreeBSD-i686)

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Mon Dec 28 00:38:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, Charles Lepple wrote:
> > We are invoking 'make', which according to the path, should be
> > /usr/ bin/make. (GNU make is /usr/local/bin/gmake, but I don't
> > think that should be in the picture.)
> >
> > The error seems to happen on line 8 of scripts/hal/Makefile.am:
> >

> > http://boxster.ghz.cc/projects/nut/browser/trunk/scripts/hal/Makefi
> >le.am?rev=1778
> >
> > Basically, $@ (the target) is being expanded properly, but $< is
> > empty.
>
> I may have answered my own question here, but I'm still curious as to
> what others do in this situation. It sounds like this Makefile does
> not have a set of suffix rules to cover this file (we're changing the
> prefix anyway), so BSD make doesn't know what the official source for
> the file is. (I assume GNU make just uses the first dependency.)

Personally I would just call gmake, it is not a problem to require it as
most people would have it installed (since any auto* using program
needs it to build).

The only thing to remember is to make sure your makefiles call ${MAKE}
if they need to invoke make.

I didn't actually look at the problem though..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum