[Nut-upsdev] PowerWare USB debug messages

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Jul 10 15:51:41 UTC 2009

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple op gmail.com>:

>> In most cases, I'd welcome more debugging output, especially in the case of
>> USB drivers. But in that case, I would rather see this logged at loglevel
>> LOG_DEBUG, to prevent flooding the syslog with messages. The LOG_ERR level
>> is fairly high and on many systems these messages will be logged to the
>> syslog.
> To me, the log level is orthogonal to the message printed at a given
> log level.

I have no idea what ortogonal means here (sorry, English is not my
native language). What I meant to say is, when configuring syslog
usually it will log message from a specified level and higher. which
messages to log and it will log all messages with that level and
higher. Since LOG_ERR is ranked quite high, this might mean that if
for some unfortunate reason usb_clear_halt() is called often, this
will show up each time.

In this particular case, I don't think the ordinary sysadmin has any
means to resolve this problem and since we've had quite some
complaints about NUT 'spamming' the syslog before, I'd rather see
things like this being logged at LOG_DEBUG (which is rarely used in a
production environment and only then if there is a problem to be
debugged).

> If you have no objections to the message, I will add usb_strerror().

Please do.

> If you would like me to change the log level at the same time, I can
> do that, but I don't have a strong opinion on that (probably because I
> haven't had my syslog flooded recently).

Neither have I, but see above. We should be conservative about what to
write to the syslog.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list