[Nut-upsdev] Patch for drivers.list

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 11:33:08 UTC 2009

On Jul 29, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Svein Skogen (listmail account) wrote:

> On a sidenote, I had a really hard time getting the usbhid-ups driver
> working in FreeBSD running as a non-privileged user (even with
> permissions on the /dev/ file set properly). Running it as root works,
> though, so no biggie (I have the luxury of having the ups connected
> to a
> dedicated box that is sufficiently fenced off from the rest of the
> network).

I don't have my FreeBSD box handy, but I seem to remember having to
set permissions on both the bus (for libusb to enumerate the devices)
and on the device's /dev node itself.

> When it ran as a non-privileged user, the usbhid driver seemed to
> insist
> on trying to load the "generic" driver, refusing to load the
> Cyberpower
> one. As root, it loaded up the proper driver, and all is good. May
> just
> be that my current FreeBSD-fu is low, or something.

Are you referring to the usbhid-ups driver for NUT, or the ugen
generic USB driver in the kernel?

Also, what version of FreeBSD are you using?