[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1837 - trunk/clients

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Thu May 7 03:23:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hey Daniel and Charles,
>
> 2009/5/5 Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>
>
> > On Tue, 5 May 2009, Charles Lepple wrote:
> > > oops, this wasn't supposed to make it into the trunk yet. I can
> > > revert it until further testing, but has anyone else tried
> > > running with this patch?
> > >
> > > http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2009-April/00
> > >3821 .html
> >
> > me ;)
>
> I still have a draft answer to your patch Daniel, but only really got
> back on NUT since monday...
> and I'm since in a deep update round.

Ah right.
I only have 1 site that has 2 UPSs and I patched that manually so there
is no hurry from my end.

> I was about to make the following proposition:
> what would you think about adding your patch (as an override option)
> but defaulting to "upslog-"<ups>"-"<hostname> (for example:
> "upslog-myups-localhost"). This would always satisfy the unique name,
> with a sane default naming, and give a pattern for the logrotate
> definition (btw, would be interesting to add a sample config
> somewhere in the tree).

Hmm I think that would be good, it's a POLA (Principle Of Least
Astonishment) violation as it means users will need to update their log
rotators and startup scripts.

I think I would really prefer that upslog didn't keep the log file open,
that way it doesn't matter if the log file is rotated.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum