[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1837 - trunk/clients

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri May 15 03:41:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:
> Citeren Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>:
> > Obviously I can't prove a negative, but I find it extremely
> > unlikely it could possibly be an issue on ANY platform, embedded or
> > otherwise.
>
> Well, one thing is that it *will* cause existing installations to
> break, where upslog is started as 'root' and the NUT user doesn't
> have write permissions to the log file. Obviously, send upslog a
> SIGHUP in such case would effectively kill it (because it can't
> reopen the log), but I know of at least one distribution (SuSE) that
> had a default setup exactly like that. We've seen people complain
> about this behavior before, so in all likelihood, it is being used in
> the field.

That seems broken anyway, either it expands forever and you run out of
space or you try and rotate it and upslog stops.

IMO the SuSE package maintainer should change it to either run upslog as
root or make a new directory in /var/log owned but the NUT user..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum