[Nut-upsdev] nut vs. ModemManager and device stealing

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Jan 20 14:07:20 UTC 2010

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple op gmail.com>:

> We have auto-reconnect code for some USB devices (only after the
> device has been opened successfully, IIRC) and it is a mess. I
> personally don't think we should add similar complexity to the
> serial side of NUT, and if we do, it should be disabled by default.

+1

I'm fairly certain that some contact closure UPS devices consider a
probing sequence as a signal to shutdown the load. You definitely
don't want that to happen.

I'm also quite sure that based on the VID:PID combination of the
prospective modem, ModemManager should be able to figure out if a
device could be a modem or an ordinary USB to serial converter that is
not known to be a (wireless) modem. Like NUT doesn't probe known
non-UPS devices, neither should ModemManager.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list