[Nut-upsdev] ETIME on FreeBSD

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Sun Jan 24 09:35:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010, Alexey Loukianov wrote:
> I've been doing some extra tests with the Ippon Back Pro 700 device
> on the Scientific Linux 4.8 and it turned out that it is typical for
> the SL4.8 kernel to return ETIMEDOUT (-110) error instead of ETIME
> (-62) when trying to communicate with the hanged device.
> Looks like ETIME had appeared in the linux kernel some time between
> 2.6.9 and 2.6.26 and ETIMEDOUT was used for such error before the
> introduction of ETIME.
>
> Now, back to the FreeBSD. I had finally read up the FreeBSD handbook
> to the very end and I am almost ready to give the freebsd
> installation a chance. What versions of the FreeBSD are considered to
> be "current" from the NUT perspective?

I would recommend FreeBSD 8.0.

Note that since the USB stack was reimplemented in 8.0 the source for it
is in /usr/src/lib/libusb (if you want to trace the guts of it).

This library has the same API as the "usual" libusb (it supports 0.1 and
1.0 APIs).

I believe that things like device resets and re-enumeration and other
edge cases are much more likely to work (ie at all ;) in 8.0 than older
versions.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum