[Nut-upsdev] CPQPOWER-MIB - nearly there

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 12:38:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Philip Ward <p.g.ward at stir.ac.uk> wrote:
> There are a couple of issues I'd like input on. Firstly I can't seem to
> get input and output voltage to work. The code looks right to me
> (compared with the corresponding code in ietfmib.h) but the values are
> not showing when running upsc. Perhaps a fresh pair of eyes will spot
> what I have missed.

Hi Philip,

In the cpqpower_mib array, the #define'd names for the voltage and
current OIDs are listed with a ".1", ".2" and ".3" suffix for each of
the three phases. Is your UPS a 3-phase unit? The URL for the MIB
shows CPQPOWER_OID_IN_VOLTAGE as a leaf.

> Secondly CPQPOWER-MIB does not have a "Battery Status" field in the same
> sense that IETF does. In order to get around this I have used Battery
> Capacity instead. This is a percentage, so I've made values above 20 as
> normal, and values of 20 and below as LB. If anyone has strong feelings
> regarding this, or a better idea then please reply.

Not sure if snmp-ups has this as well, but the usbhid-ups code allows
you to specify mapping functions. Maybe one of the other developers
has worked with this on and can comment further.

> Finally, there is a temperature field (upsEnvAmbientTemp) which shows
> the environmental temperature. There is no field for internal
> temperature. I have used this value for ups.temperature. Is this what it
> is for, or should ups.temperature be left blank?

We do have a separate ambient.temperature variable. That said, what is
your best guess as to the origin of that temperature value? If it is
mislabeled as an internal temperature (that is, somewhat hotter than
ambient), then "ups.temperature" might be a better name (probably with
a comment in the code in case someone runs across a different version
of the firmware). If it does look like ambient temperature,
ambient.temperature is the better variable name.

--
- Charles Lepple