[Nut-upsdev] Threads

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Jun 28 15:16:42 UTC 2010

Citeren "Kiss Gabor (Bitman)" <kissg op ssg.ki.iif.hu>:

>> if you really want to split the acquisition load, use 4 real drivers, and
>> then acquire data from the local sockets. Somehow like the clone driver do.
> Yes, exactly. This is the case when multithread simplifies programming
> model. Each thread could receive async data and issuing PING commands
> independently.

The upsd server can do the same, yet only uses a single thread. I
still don't see the benefit of multi threading.

I'm interested in how you intend to consolidate the different values
from the four UPSes you have without losing information. If one UPS
loses input power, what would the value for 'input.voltage' of your
meta-UPS be?

If you want to help your system administrators setting up NUT easily,
why not provide them with a centralized 'upsmon.conf' file? If you're
using parallel redundant UPSes, it should be trivial to let upsmon
monitor all of them and start shutting down when the POWERVALUE is too
low. There is an undocumented '-f' flag that will allow specifying a
different location for the 'upsmon.conf' file.

Best regards, Arjen

PS  Be aware that in a properly setup parallel redundant NUT
configuration, it is irrelevant which driver you monitor. The master
upsmon processes will set the FSD flag on all drivers once there is
insufficient POWERVALUE remaining.
--
Please keep list traffic on the list