[Nut-upsdev] Threads

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Tue Jun 29 07:29:22 UTC 2010

Citeren "Kiss Gabor (Bitman)" <kissg op ssg.ki.iif.hu>:

> Eeeeer.... the situation is much more complex.
> We have three machine rooms and two of them will be de-energized
> artifically after a few minutes in order to preserve all
> of remaining battery charge to the third server room.

Shutting down after a fixed time interval is not a good idea. You
really should consider to shutdown early based on a battery level
rather than a fixed time. The latter is not robust in case of repeated
power failures when the batteries don't have enough time to fully
recharge.

> This is where our supercomputer resides that needs quite long
> time for a proper shutdown.

Related/dependent systems should all commence the shutdown sequence
based on the same parameter (battery level for or loss of mains for
instance). The shutdown order should then be set by staging the
FINALDELAY values for the respective upsmon's controlling their
shutdown. Systems that don't need a lot of time to shutdown will get a
shorter FINALDELAY while others that need more time get a longer
FINALDELAY.

If you use multiple decision moments/events, you risk that part of
your systems will have shutdown and some won't when the power returns
before the master upsmon process has started shutting down.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list