[Nut-upsdev] Threads

Kiss Gabor (Bitman) kissg at ssg.ki.iif.hu
Tue Jun 29 07:47:22 UTC 2010

> Shutting down after a fixed time interval is not a good idea. You really
> should consider to shutdown early based on a battery level rather than a fixed
> time. The latter is not robust in case of repeated power failures when the
> batteries don't have enough time to fully recharge.

No problem.
After the shunt trip kills the power, machine rooms cannot be re-powered
without manual intervention.
We will wait with the turn on sequence while we store enough power.

However if I can I will consider real charge values from physical UPS drivers.

> If you use multiple decision moments/events, you risk that part of your
> systems will have shutdown and some won't when the power returns before the
> master upsmon process has started shutting down.

Yes, I know.
Related systems that do not tolerate random shutdown (they are quite few)
use a bit more complicated config, e.g. wrapper scripts around 'shutdown' etc.

The starting sequence is much more complicated. I have longer checklist
than a Jumbo Jet before takeoff. :-)
It tooks some half an hour while all of our host can be booted after
a power outage.

Regards

Gabor