[Nut-upsdev] launchd plists

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 16:06:40 UTC 2010

On Mar 13, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Charlie Garrison wrote:

>> Hopefully I will have some time later today to take a more in-depth
>> look at your original problem. On the other hand, if the driver is
>> working in debug mode, our efforts might be better spent on
>> creating a solid example launchd script for running the driver.
>
> I'm working on that now. I'll send the one I'm using when I've got
> it ready.

Excellent. Sounds like you are further along than I am...

> Would you expect a different launchd plist for each of upsdrvctl,
> upsd and upsmon? That's the way I'm approaching it. Your thoughts
> would be appreciated.

Well, due to the problem of "no USB connectivity unless in debug
mode", I don't think it will be useful to have one for upsdrvctl. The
problem is that upsdrvctl will not start the driver in debug mode, so
we will end up with your original issue.

My reasoning for suggesting a launchd plist for the driver is that
launchd can respawn the driver if necessary - which would be helpful
in your case if the device disconnects. (However, I seem to remember
that you said the driver still reports "data stale", which means it
has not treated the error code as a "device disconnection". We need to
work on that.)

On the other hand, we may have some startup issues with upsd and
upsmon, especially if they start before networking is available. For
those, it might be better to create a StartupItem for now.

--
Charles Lepple