[Nut-upsdev] Getting 'Data stale' error with bcmxcp_usb for a PowerWare 5115 on OSX

Charlie Garrison garrison at zeta.org.au
Mon Mar 22 12:53:37 UTC 2010

Good evening,

On 22/03/10 at 7:55 AM -0400, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 7:12 AM, Charlie Garrison <garrison at zeta.org.au> wrote:
>
>For the portion of the log quoted above, I admit I am not familiar
>enough with this driver to say whether it has failed at this point.
>Maybe someone from Eaton can comment on that.

Is that a hint that I should be contacting them, or do we know
they have devs on this list?

>>454959.198654   Warning: excessive comm failures, limiting error reporting
>>454959.198672   Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
>
>The preceding two lines are generated from nutusb_comm_fail() in
>bcmxcp_usb.c. What do you get from 'grep "Communications with UPS
>lost" name-of-logfile' ?

$ grep "Communications with UPS lost" /var/log/nut-driver.log
10578.415713    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
11180.245313    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
38876.625676    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
46843.166524    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
47954.281275    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
52548.325592    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
55334.000485    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
69408.920215    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
73109.467953    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
81290.330831    Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
205872.380255   Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
281913.375308   Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
394369.162435   Communications with UPS lost: get_answer:
checksum error!
454959.198672   Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
454979.199631   Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command

Note, the above possibly includes entries from the previous
kill/restart, not just the last one. Although I'm pretty sure I
rotated the log file last time, so that should be from one run
of the driver.

>>Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get the driver working on my
>>system? IOW, any ideas on how it can recover without me having to
>>dis/connect the USB cable and kill/restart the driver?
>
>So if I remember from your previous emails, killing and restarting the
>driver without reconnecting the USB cable does /not/ solve the
>problem?

That is correct. And this time I was testing whether *only*
dis/connecting the cable would allow the driver to recover. It
did allow the loop processing to continue, but it didn't
properly recover. I had to kill the driver daemon as well.

>That sounds like an issue with the firmware on the UPS
>itself. There is a function to reset the device that we could try, but
>I think we may need to add some more debugging to figure out what
>error codes should trigger this:
>
>http://libusb.sourceforge.net/doc/function.usbreset.html

Sorry, I'm missing the relevance here. Are you suggesting a
one-time reset? Or should I add usb_reset somewhere in
bcmxcp_usb.c? (My C skills aren't good enough to add that
command and then open the device again.)

>Did you have a debug statement around lines 150-160 in your code? I
>would have thought we would see the error codes from
>usb_interrupt_read().

I did, but I removed them to reduce verbosity. I'll uncomment &
recompile and run again.

>We could probably set up a branch in SVN so that
>we're working from the same piece of code. Have you built NUT from SVN
>before? If not, no big deal - we can still work from snapshots.

I've been working with r2392. I've just updated to r2405. I'm
happy to work against a branch if you're able to create one and
give me a commit bit.

And thanks again, I appreciate the assistance.

Charlie

--
    Ꮚ Charlie Garrison ♊ <garrison at zeta.org.au>
    〠 PO Box 141, Windsor, NSW 2756, Australia

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt