[Nut-upsdev] Tripplite USB 3003 problems

Wallis, Chase Civ USAF AFMC 519 SMXS/MXDEA Chase.Wallis at HILL.af.mil
Wed Mar 24 15:35:38 UTC 2010

I have been having a few issues recently. I'm running Nut 2.4.3 on
Solaris 10 (10/09) using a TrippLite SMART700DVa UPS. Everything seems
to be working fine except for some random issues. During a power cycle
(UPS online to offline to online) NUT will occasionally get disconnected
from the UPS. A call to it using upsc results in "Error: Data stale".
And running dmesg has the following messages:

                UPS ups at localhost on line power

                UPS ups at localhost on battery

                Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check driver

                Poll UPS [ups at localhost] failed - Data stale

                Last message repeated 2 times

This will only happen once in every 50 times or so. I am not sure where
to look for the problem. Could it be a problem in NUT? Or Solaris or the
libusb? Or could it be a problem with the UPS? It has occurred on
different machines with different UPS's, so I don't think it is a
hardware issue. Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Or could point
me in the right direction to get this problem resolved?

Chase Wallis