[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r2708 - in branches/ssl-nss-port: clients m4 server

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 12:58:18 UTC 2010

2010/11/28 Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org <nut%2Bdevel at de-korte.org>

> Citeren Arjen de Korte <adkorte-guest at alioth.debian.org>:
>

>  Log:
>> Use the 'nss_compat_ossl' compatibility layer to use the Mozilla NSS
>> library instead of OpenSSL (we might want to include native support in the
>> future, but this will at least allow a quick migration for testing purposes)
>>

> I don't recall that we ever discussed the possibility of adding NSS support
> by using the 'nss_compat_ossl' OpenSSL compatibility layer. Just to be sure,
> I added this to see if this is a workable solution. On my (openSUSE) system
> this seems to build without problems.
>
> Having said that, I'm not sure how future proof this will be. It could be
> that in the end we want to use the native NSS functions instead. I didn't
> spend any time on this (and have no desire to do so either) so I have no
> idea how much work that would be (but maybe our new team member Emilien can
> work this out).

considering the availability of nss-compat vs. nss, I doubt it's a good idea
to go this way.
Emilien has made a few tests on Debian based system, and the conclusion are
clearly in favor of nss (ie not compat).

though the underlying idea of nss-compat was good, it seems not that people
/ distro have adhered to this approach.
I've asked Emilien to concentrate on a native nss implementation.

FYI, his first investigation seems to show that implementation won't be the
hardest part, but documentation and setup will...
It also seems, after an update round on my side, that the standardization on
nss pushed by Fedora and Suse has not yet made its way.

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com