[Nut-upsdev] CyberPower CP825AVR-G battery scale

Ariel asnutups at dsgml.com
Wed Dec 28 14:16:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011, Charles Lepple wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2011, at 3:48 AM, Ariel wrote:

>> Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc. CP1500 AVR UPS

> We need the rest of the USB info from the device to be able to have the
> driver automatically select a correction factor. (The above line only
> uses the Vendor/Product IDs as lookup keys into the usb.ids file - it
> does not actively read any USB string descriptors from the device.)

> $ lsusb -vvv -d 0764:0501

Placed at the end of the email.

>> A real Lead Acid battery has a voltage of 13.8 not 12, so it shouldn't be reporting 24 volts for the reading, but 16 volts is certainly wrong.

>>   0.022302     Path: UPS.PowerSummary.ConfigVoltage, Type: Feature, ReportID: 0x09, Offset: 0, Size: 8, Value: 24.000000
>>   0.022332     Path: UPS.PowerSummary.Voltage, Type: Feature, ReportID: 0x0a, Offset: 0, Size: 8, Value: 24.000000

> Is it possible that UPS.PowerSummary.Voltage is really an output voltage
> divided by 10? (This has happened on other devices.)

Well, I have two 12 volt batteries, so 24 volts makes sense, 240 doesn't.

> What might be useful (and this applies to your other feature requests as
> well) is to verify that the values change as expected during a deep
> discharge cycle.

Yes, I intend to do that, once I get everything installed fully so I can
test everything end to end. (Although I won't be able to test the
buck/boost till the summer when my voltage drops a lot.)

> I have a feeling that we may need to develop a more generic scaling
> capability in some of these drivers. On the other hand, we probably
> should make it obvious that certain values are being modified before
> being reported.

I agree - I think the scaling should be configured in ups.conf, and be
general for any field. To make it very easy support +-*/ without
precedence - operations are done strictly left to right. Perhaps 3 fields:
operation, min, max (min/max are applied after scaling, not before).

> Also, what version of NUT are you using? I seem to remember that we
> fixed the debug output so that it didn't always print values in
> fixed-point notation.

I'm using 2.4.3 (debian stable - you'll be getting a lot of reports for
that version for the next year or two). I was thinking of installing 2.6.2
if it had any features I needed.

lsusb -vvv -d 0764:0501 (I find it interesting that this appears to
include all the values the UPS sends, I didn't know the kernel tracks
that.)

Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc. CP1500 AVR UPS
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x0764 Cyber Power System, Inc.
   idProduct          0x0501 CP1500 AVR UPS
   bcdDevice            0.01
   iManufacturer           1 CP1350PFCLCD
   iProduct                2 CRCA102-3I1
   iSerial                 3 CPS
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           34
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0xc0
       Self Powered
     MaxPower                2mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
       bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
       iInterface              0
         HID Device Descriptor:
           bLength                 9
           bDescriptorType        33
           bcdHID               1.10
           bCountryCode           33 US
           bNumDescriptors         1
           bDescriptorType        34 Report
           wDescriptorLength     430
           Report Descriptor: (length is 430)
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x84 ] 132
                             Power Device Page
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x04 ] 4
                             UPS
             Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                             Application
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x24 ] 36
                             Power Summary
             Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             Physical
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xfe ] 254
                             iProduct
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff 0x00 ] 255
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xff ] 255
                             iSerialNumber
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x03 ] 3
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x85 ] 133
                             Battery System Page
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x89 ] 137
                             iDeviceChemistry
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x04 ] 4
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x8f ] 143
                             iOEMInformation
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x05 ] 5
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x8b ] 139
                             Rechargeable
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x06 ] 6
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x2c ] 44
                             Capacity Mode
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x07 ] 7
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x06 ] 6
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x64 ] 100
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x83 ] 131
                             Design Capacity
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x8d ] 141
                             Capacity Granularity 1
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x8e ] 142
                             Capacity Granularity 2
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x8c ] 140
                             Warning Capacity Limit
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x29 ] 41
                             Remaining Capacity Limit
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x67 ] 103
                             Full Charge Capacity
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             System: None, Unit: (None)
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x66 ] 102
                             Remaining Capacity
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x66 ] 102
                             Remaining Capacity
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x68 ] 104
                             Run Time To Empty
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x10 ] 16
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff 0xff 0x00 0x00 ] 65535
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x01 0x10 ] 4097
                             System: SI Linear, Unit: Seconds
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x68 ] 104
                             Run Time To Empty
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x2a ] 42
                             Remaining Time Limit
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x58 0x02 ] 600
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x2a ] 42
                             Remaining Time Limit
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa2 ] 162
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x09 ] 9
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff 0x00 ] 255
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x84 ] 132
                             Power Device Page
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x40 ] 64
                             Config Voltage
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x21 0xd1 0xf0 0x00 ] 15782177
                             System: SI Linear, Unit: Centimeter^2*Gram*Seconds^-3*Ampere^-1
             Item(Global): Unit Exponent, data= [ 0x06 ] 6
                             Unit Exponent: 6
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x0a ] 10
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x30 ] 48
                             Voltage
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
                             Present Status
             Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
                             Logical
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             System: None, Unit: (None)
             Item(Global): Unit Exponent, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             Unit Exponent: 0
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x0b ] 11
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x06 ] 6
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x85 ] 133
                             Battery System Page
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xd0 ] 208
                             AC Present
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x44 ] 68
                             Charging
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x45 ] 69
                             Discharging
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x42 ] 66
                             Below Remaining Capacity Limit
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x46 ] 70
                             Fully Charged
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x43 ] 67
                             Remaining Time Limit Expired
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xd0 ] 208
                             AC Present
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x44 ] 68
                             Charging
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x45 ] 69
                             Discharging
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x42 ] 66
                             Below Remaining Capacity Limit
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x46 ] 70
                             Fully Charged
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x43 ] 67
                             Remaining Time Limit Expired
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
             Item(Global): Report Count, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                             Constant Array Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                             Constant Array Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Main  ): End Collection, data=none
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x0c ] 12
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x84 ] 132
                             Power Device Page
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x5a ] 90
                             Audible Alarm Control
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x03 ] 3
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa2 ] 162
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x5a ] 90
                             Audible Alarm Control
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x22 ] 34
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x0d ] 13
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0xfd ] 253
                             iManufacturer
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff 0x00 ] 255
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Main  ): End Collection, data=none
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x84 ] 132
                             Power Device Page
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x1a ] 26
                             Input
             Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             Physical
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x0e ] 14
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x84 ] 132
                             Power Device Page
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x40 ] 64
                             Config Voltage
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x21 0xd1 0xf0 0x00 ] 15782177
                             System: SI Linear, Unit: Centimeter^2*Gram*Seconds^-3*Ampere^-1
             Item(Global): Unit Exponent, data= [ 0x07 ] 7
                             Unit Exponent: 7
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x0f ] 15
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x10 ] 16
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x30 ] 48
                             Voltage
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x10 ] 16
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x53 ] 83
                             Low Voltage Transfer
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x4e ] 78
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x58 ] 88
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa2 ] 162
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x53 ] 83
                             Low Voltage Transfer
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x54 ] 84
                             High Voltage Transfer
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x88 0x00 ] 136
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x8e 0x00 ] 142
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa2 ] 162
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x54 ] 84
                             High Voltage Transfer
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Main  ): End Collection, data=none
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x1c ] 28
                             Output
             Item(Main  ): Collection, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             Physical
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x12 ] 18
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x30 ] 48
                             Voltage
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff 0x00 ] 255
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             System: None, Unit: (None)
             Item(Global): Unit Exponent, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             Unit Exponent: 0
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x13 ] 19
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x35 ] 53
                             Percent Load
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x14 ] 20
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x58 ] 88
                             Test
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x06 ] 6
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa2 ] 162
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x58 ] 88
                             Test
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x22 ] 34
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x15 ] 21
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x57 ] 87
                             Delay Before Shutdown
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x10 ] 16
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0xff ] 255
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0xff 0x7f ] 32767
             Item(Global): Physical Minimum, data= [ 0xc4 ] 196
             Item(Global): Physical Maximum, data= [ 0xc4 0xff 0x1d 0x00 ] 1966020
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x01 0x10 ] 4097
                             System: SI Linear, Unit: Seconds
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa2 ] 162
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x16 ] 22
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x56 ] 86
                             Delay Before Startup
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa2 ] 162
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x17 ] 23
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x6e ] 110
                             Boost
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
             Item(Global): Physical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Physical Maximum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             System: None, Unit: (None)
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x65 ] 101
                             Overload
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x06 ] 6
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0x01 ] 1
                             Constant Array Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x18 ] 24
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x10 ] 16
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x44 ] 68
                             Config Active Power
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x84 0x03 ] 900
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x21 0xd1 ] 53537
                             System: SI Linear, Unit: Centimeter^2*Gram*Seconds^-3
             Item(Global): Unit Exponent, data= [ 0x07 ] 7
                             Unit Exponent: 7
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa3 ] 163
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Global): Report ID, data= [ 0x1a ] 26
             Item(Global): Usage Page, data= [ 0x01 0xff ] 65281
                             (null)
             Item(Global): Unit, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             System: None, Unit: (None)
             Item(Global): Unit Exponent, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
                             Unit Exponent: 0
             Item(Global): Report Size, data= [ 0x08 ] 8
             Item(Global): Logical Minimum, data= [ 0x00 ] 0
             Item(Global): Logical Maximum, data= [ 0x02 ] 2
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x43 ] 67
                             (null)
             Item(Main  ): Feature, data= [ 0xa2 ] 162
                             Data Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Local ): Usage, data= [ 0x43 ] 67
                             (null)
             Item(Main  ): Input, data= [ 0x23 ] 35
                             Constant Variable Absolute No_Wrap Linear
                             No_Preferred_State No_Null_Position Non_Volatile Bitfield
             Item(Main  ): End Collection, data=none
             Item(Main  ): End Collection, data=none
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7