[Nut-upsdev] upsclient high level API and Java wrapping

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 11:11:07 UTC 2011

Dear developers, contributors and integrators,

2011/7/6 <EmilienKia at eaton.com>

> **
>
> Hi all,
>
> on proposal by Arnaud Quette and sponsored by Eaton, I will work on a port
> on Java of client, discovery and config API.
>
> As I have already suggested (mail of 2011-06-14 of this ml), instead of
> developping another port of nut protocol, I suggest to develop a higher
> level API in C/C++ uppon existing upsclient, inspirated by existing C-based
> tools and python and perl rewrites.
> The second goal is to release a convergent high-level API which can be
> easily wrapped (via SWIG ?) in Java and other languages, and perhaps make an
> uniform API for all wrappers (including perl and python).
>
> I will precise my ideas in a future mail, but if anyone want to talk about
> its point of view or needs.
>
> Best regards,
>
> *Emilien** KIA*
> Software Engineer
>
> Team Open Source
> Engineering Software & Connectivity
> Eaton's Electrical Group PQCO/DPQD
> Immeuble Viseo - Bâtiment A
> 110, rue Blaise Pascal
> 38330 Montbonnot St Martin
> FRANCE
> tel: +33(0)4 7600 6620
> emilienkia at eaton.com
> www.eaton.com******

as Emilien started to present above, we (Eaton) want to help filling some of
the NUT remaining lacks while improving the API / language bindings
situation.

We also want to take this opportunity to work more collaboratively with the
NUT Community, from the upstream discussion up to the implementation.

@David and Gabor: as owners of language binding, we would be more than happy
to see you participating in this effort.

And more generally, if you have comments, ideas or needs, please send in or
jump into the thread.

cheers,
Arnaud
--