[Nut-upsdev] 2.8.0 roadmap [jNUT]

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 16:48:53 UTC 2011

2011/6/12 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

> On Jun 11, 2011, at 3:53 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>
>   * jNUT Java binding
>>    the exact content of this task is still to be defined, but this should
>> include native client access and NSS support,
>>    the following will be considered with a lower priority:
>>      - device discovery (JNI using libnut-scanner),
>>      - configuration (using Augeas)
>>      - mDNS discovery
>>    I'm currently checking resources staffing with Eaton
>>

> I'm not a huge fan of Java to begin with,

so do I.
but having played with Android a year and a half ago, and having some
requests more recently made me think we are still lacking a Java binding...

> but if I had to interface a Java tool with NUT, I wouldn't want the hassle
> of native bindings (i.e. JNI) unless it was absolutely necessary. Most of
> the NUT protocol should be easily implementable in pure Java (including
> SSL).

indeed, native client access (ie implement the ascii NUT protocol in Java)
is easy enough to be implemented directly (as we have in Python, Nagios
plugin, ...)
for SSL / NSS, I've seen JSS for example:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/jss/

> I agree that the "lower priority" items might be more easily implemented
> with JNI.

this would be limited to discovery, with the 'nut-scanner' project producing
a set of libs.
Augeas configuration and mDNS already have Java bindings that we should use.

cheers,
Arno