[Nut-upsdev] Changes to upscli_connect (and general discovery)

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Wed Jun 29 11:43:21 UTC 2011

Citeren Charles Lepple <clepple op gmail.com>:

> I guess I see the scanning code as a stopgap way to contact "legacy"
> servers (or what would be legacy after some discovery protocol like
> mDNS is set up), and either timeouts or non-blocking is just a
> kludge to make that work a little better. And isn't opening a
> non-blocking socket just a way to split socket connection and
> protocol initialization?

If that's the case, this should be handled by the nut-scanner itself.
For any hosts found to be listening on port 3493 it would then proceed
to use the upscli_connect call to check if it really is a NUT server.

I'm *very* concerned that we're even considering making changes to the
upsclient library for the sake of a tool that is meant for backwards
compatibility. This library should be as light weight as possible.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)