[Nut-upsdev] Merging libeaton (was Re: [nut-commits] buildbot failure in Network UPS Tools on Fedora-x64)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 16:29:18 UTC 2011

2011/11/25 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>:
> On Nov 25, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Any comment from your side on a possible integration in the trunk?
>> I'm too biased to consider my voice relevant here...
>
> You think I'm unbiased? :-)

probably more than me on this point, at least for the public ;-)
but I'm conscious that this merge would be part of the gesture of
appreciation toward Eaton...

> I haven't had much of a chance to look at the code,

once you've trimmed the doc, there doesn't remain much apart from the
build rules.

> but by default, I am skeptical of libraries which try to abstract away all of the complexities of bidirectional communication with hardware. I may have missed this in the documentation, but what problem does this solve that isn't addressed by the rest of NUT? Is this intended for GUI apps? If so, how does this interact with event loops or threading? Have full-fledged apps been written against this API?

none apart from the examples in the doc.
the aim is to provide a simple solution to a simple problem: what if
people just want to get ups.status (and possibly a few more) in their
"god" app, in order to act smartly. I've had so many requests of this
type, since the old MGE time, you'll never know!
some people only use drivers and interface with these.
some use the whole framework and other only a handful of data and a lib.
all this is simply NUT drivers available as libs (Ie, we have only
removed main.c!). no more, no less.
all NUT limitations still apply. and the user needs to reimplement NUT
driver main.c on his own.

> I don't personally see any urgency to merge this into the trunk, but I am willing to be persuaded otherwise.

well, the only urgency I see is that it increase the sync overhead
around branches on my small Eaton team.
also considering that Fred will be on paternity leave soon, this waste
work force that could be used otherwise.

I'd like to get this small one done for 2.6.3, so that we can then
concentrate on windows + nss merges and "bindings" improvements. and
also in order for me to concentrate on these infrastructure and cloud
integrations.

cheers,
Arno