[Nut-upsdev] Time for a distributed VCS?

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Tue Nov 29 22:56:21 UTC 2011

On 11-11-27 19:23, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>

>> Yet another is Vthat git-svn does not detect rename and copy
>> operations.
>
> I'm curious about this - doesn't git only detect copy and rename when
> you browse the repository metadata, not when you create a commit? I
> may be working with old information here, but I thought that's why
> you sometimes need to specify "--find-copies" and
> "--find-copies-harder" to some Git commands.

For the record, that's exactly how git does things. Only stuff it stores
are objects - commits, trees, blobs, tags - with expected relationship
between them.

The rest are just features of respective porcelain and/or plumbing
commands. In case of diff (and if you have no diff.renames options
set), you can see the result instantly with:

git mv fileA fileB

git diff --cached

vs.

git diff --cached -M

git status showing stuff staged for commit will implicitly detect
renames, but once the commit is done - it's just a commit (so an object
pointing to 1 tree, 1+ parent commits).