[Nut-upsdev] bestfortress driver establishes/loses/establishes communication and so on...

Oliver Kluge ok23 at kluge-digital.de
Sun Feb 5 11:11:00 UTC 2012

Hi Arnaud,

Arnaud Quette wrote:
> I hope somebody else with jump in and answer your question.
> serialmon (http://www.serialmon.com/) seems to be a good candidate.
> but I'm not sure if it allows to dump the snif.
> so if you're not in hurry, you may prefer the below solution...

Well, I've tried Serialmon. It would enable dumping - but it doesn't
work at all.

System requirements are Windows 2000 and newer and Dot Net 2.0.
Therefore I did not even try it on Vista or 7, but on my trusty Windows
XP with latest Service Pack. And of course with Dot Net 2, 3 and 4. 2
has SP level 1.

On the first installation run Windows complained that Serialmon does not
pass the logo test. I continued with the installation and rebooted.
Serialmon then told me that it could not perform software monitoring,
because I would either need to reboot or re-install. I rebooted, to no
avail. I re-installed (twice), it just doesn't to anything.

I even blocked Checkups II from starting by removing its registry entry,
so COM1: would not be blocked, and re-installed. Doesn't make a difference.

Then I tried to talk to the UPS by hand, with Hyperterminal. The UPS
doesn't talk to me, even when I send the password that has been
described in your link to the protocol (bearing in mind it may not be
the right protocol for a 660 LI).

Btw, in the protocol link it is mentioned that the UPS does do flow
control, via XON/XOFF. Maybe this contributes to the disrupted
communication of the bestfortress driver?

Thanks
Oliver