[Nut-upsdev] A patch to add a command to get client information

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:14:41 UTC 2012

2012/2/8 René Martín Rodríguez <rmrodri at ull.edu.es>:
> El 08/02/12 09:14, Arnaud Quette escribió:
>
>> Hi Charles,
>>
>> please to see you jumping in ;-)

>>> Never mind, it was easy to merge by hand. A temporary branch is on
>>> GitHub:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/clepple/nut/commits/git-list_clients/
>>>
>>> Arnaud: what do you think about the syslog-based client list, which is
>>> included? I saw your comments proposing the protocol-based approach, but do
>>> we need both? I guess it can't hurt, since someone would have to become the
>>> 'nut' user to signal upsd.
>>
>> I don't think we need both, and I don't see any added value in having
>> the syslog complement.
>> René probably got me wrong, or simply merged his original code / idea with
>> mine.
>>
>> that being said, it's nice from René to have done the work (thanks for
>> that René, much appreciated).
>> as he told, upsc implementation is still missing, to get the complete
>> picture.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Arnaud
>
> I agree with you, there is no need to have both methods. I sent all my
> modifications to you, hoping you choose one of them to merge in the repo.
>
> We need to change our checker scripts depending on the method you choose,
> once it's done I prefer the second implementation.

the way to go is really through the protocol, not syslog.
though, ATM, upsc side is still missing, and the whole commit hasn't
reached the trunk.
but you can base on the provided spec.
if you have any urgent need, just tell back and I'll check to
prioritize this upsc completion.

> I'm very sorry about the incident with the dictionary, I hope any system
> will be seriously affected by the introduction of that tremendous bug in the
> code.

this has probably already caused a global blackout ;-)

thanks again for your contrib,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com