[Nut-upsdev] NUT driver update process...

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:04:38 UTC 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 3:44 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:

> Hi Billy,
>
> switching back this thread to -upsdev
>
> 2012/2/27 William R. Elliot <bill at wreassoc.com>:
>> I have been able to set the 'FSD' from the driver and it is picked up by
>> upsmon.  That gives me the functionality that I was asked to put in the
>> driver.  If that is against the rules then I'll make an adjustment when the
>> allowed method is defined.  :-)
>
> yup, that's against the tables of the law ;-p
> more seriously, the right way to do this is to set the status to "OB
> LB", which will trigger upsmon to add FSD.
> the reason is that, in master / slave(s) setup, this allows upsmon to
> do the job, and notify slaves.
>
> so, as long as you just catch something that implies the FSD status
> using "OB LB", everything is fine.
>
> don't hesitate to post your patch on -upsdev to get feedback and
> adjustment request, which is needed before we can merge your contrib.

Arnaud,

I looked at some of the existing NUT code for handling FSD, and I think it is a slightly more accurate representation of what is going on when an external source starts a shutdown on an UPS. See the following thread:

   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.nut.devel/5882

My thought is that the external shutdown signal may happen well before the battery is low.

I don't see a reason why a driver couldn't set FSD, other than simply by convention.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail