[Nut-upsdev] Public reposurgeon repo

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Wed Jan 18 08:50:53 UTC 2012

There is now a public reposurgeon repository at:

git at gitorious.org:reposurgeon/reposurgeon.git

I've tagged 2.0pre9 there, for two purposes:

* Charles can verify that I've solved the missing-files problem.

* Hartmut can rework the few of his patches I didn't merge into reposurgeon.

Charles, our next and final challenge is to generate proper merge
commits in the NUT repo translation.  For this purpose, I need a
defect list of places where the git repo that reposurgeon generates
doesn't match the topology you expect.  Possible defects include:

1. Instances where the root of a branch is misplaced.

2. Instances where git-svn generates a merge but reposurgeon does not.

3. Instances where reposurgeon generates a merge but git-svn does not.

4. Instances of clean merges that git-svn fails to detect but we want
   to turn into actual git merges (presently I know of just two of
   these, for the apcsmart-dev and nut-scanner_dlopen branches).

Note, some things that look like defects of kinds 2 and 3 could be due
to bugs in git-svn.  There are places where the NUT repo confuses git-svn
very badly, such as the Eaton-SDK branch that it doesn't connect to
the repo root except through a merge at the end.

Strict gun laws are about as effective as strict drug laws...It pains
me to say this, but the NRA seems to be right: The cities and states
that have the toughest gun laws have the most murder and mayhem.
        -- Mike Royko, Chicago Tribune